Sunday, October 14, 2007

My favorite RONDELLHUND! "Round-about-dog"




















This is the not-so-famous dog, Glasbergajycken, who lives happy days in a round-about near my home. Rondellhundar is common in Sweden, see more here at rondellhund.se . This particular dog has got some influence from Rauschbergs goat, which is an artpiece of questionable value according to some. It´s made an impression on me at least, but I dont know if I like it.
It all started with an ordered artpiece from an artist, a concrete dog which got its head removed and was taken away for repair. Somebody replaced the damaged piece with a homemade wooden dog, very crude, but still a dog! It´s become something of a national epidemic, and you can find them all over Sweden.

rondellhund [råndel-hun]

Definition Icke professionellt producerad skulpturkonst i form av hund eller annat djur i valfritt material som, ofta i skydd av nattens mörker, placeras på offentlig plats, företrädesvis i en rondell.

Definition: Non-professional produced sculpture art in shape of a dog or other animal in material free of choice, which, often in the cover of the night, is placed in public place, preferably a round-about.











Floppy in Södertälje and Rocky in Sundsvall, illustrating the wide range of Round-about-dogs in Sweden.

Why not make your own, AnS? I´ll join you if you want, we have discussed it!

by EH

3 comments:

O.K. said...

Haha, I love the reference to Rauschenberg's "Monogram"! I'm pretty sure that those who question the artistic value of "Monogram" wouldn't mind owning it. When Hans Thulin went bankrupt in the early 1990's he sold a Raushenberg piece for 6-7 million dollars.

What I really like is the grassroot, anarchistic style of the rondellhund-movement. That is more important than the actual dogs in my opinion.

EH said...

I agree, the movement is more interesting than the outcome. If you think about, people who never thought of themselves as artist are creating "inoffical art". Some is hideous, but as we say in Sweden "alltid retar det nån!" , direct translation "it always get somebody annoyed".

But it´s true also, the dog Glasbergajycken has captured me in a way an official artpiece can. To me it´s the same thing. It looks happy, tail and ears up and has some undefinable integrity.

O.K. said...

That's in a way why I brought up Hans Thulin. Art doesn't become art because it is expensive and placed in a museum, but because it means something to you.

As I see it the most important function of a museum is, besides collecting "the good stuff" in one place, getting the visitor to take the time and effort necessary to really look and ponder. There are so many exiting things that one don't see because they are so common.