Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Long lost sister reports to home base!


Hi there everybody! A report from the swedish countryside, preferably Dog Plaza. My son is asking if it´s going to be summer tomorrow, he misses the warm weather. We´ve had rain but not too much. In the forest the blueberries are abundant and we´ve found some chantarelles.

Today I´ve been at a farm, I wanted to show MH were milk comes from. We visited Örsta gård which has 35 milking cows, and some calves, the youngest 2 days old. I actually remember how to work a milking machine, I know because I tried today. I have milked a cow! The moves are still there after 18 years! I tasted the milk directly from the milk tank, cool, 4 per cent fat, nam nam. When we left the farm I got 2 liters of råmjölk, the first milk the cow produces after giving birth to a calf. This we will use to make kalvdans!, a special dish that is a bit like swedish cheesecake.
MH was amazed and very happy about our visit in the farm. I think we´ll go again sometime.







Soon we will leave for Hälsingland and hopefully arrive back with some cloudberries in our bagage in a week.

Universal love to all. /E.H.

7 comments:

O.K. said...

So now MH won't believe that the origin of milk is the store's fridge...

LS said...

Great parenting, EH! How was the kalvdans? I remember when we had it in Jamtland when we were small, it was kind of jellylike with almonds in it, I think. How did you meet up with the farmer? Did you just go into the barn and ask if you could visit?

LS said...

PS. The cow has two ear labels, one in each ear with the same number. Is that so you don't have to go around to the other side to know its number, or maybe they don't trust the attachment mechanism? These are really cute cows by the way, so Swedish looking (SRB I assume).

O.K. said...

Isn't that just for perfect weight distribution, just as in german race cars? "Ze driver zits with one leg forward and one leg back. Ze driver has to adapt to ze machine, not ze other way around..." :D

I can see before me how the cow is hugging the curves at full speed. And look at that low nose for extra downforce...

LS said...

And if cows are like muskoxes, they ran faster uphill than downhill! I have always wondered if this is not also dependent on the angle of the slope...

LS said...

I just read this on the Yellowstone National Park website:

"BISON may appear tame and slow but they are unpredictable and dangerous. They weigh up to 2,000 pounds (900 kg) and sprint at 30 miles per hour (48 kph), three time faster than you can run! Every year visitors are gored and some have been killed."

I promise that I will be careful when I go there in August!

O.K. said...

Yes, pet them gently. ;)