Friday, April 4, 2008

The evening before a travel day...

Som vore det kvällen före en resa... eller hur det nu går, dikten som jag älskar och alltid glömmer bort... Om sex timmar åker AREA och jag till Costa Rica, och allt är packat och klart. Evenings like this, the few hours before I am gone on another trip, makes me think about Swedish poetry about travel - Harry Martinson, Fröding, and Ekelöf, and also authors such as Vilhelm Moberg and lot of others. For those of you that don't read Swedish literature, you have lots to discover.

But instead of a travel poem, here is one of the few poems I actually know by heart in Swedish, and one that I love. I can't translate it, but it is about happiness, and I am happy, right now, in my life. Or maybe I am just content with my life in general and have some kind of inner calm I didn't dare to have ten years ago. I know that if I wanted I could be upset over a million things, but I choose not to.

Lyckflätning

Än minns jag de lyckliga åren
då lyckan var lycklig och såren
ej lyckats få lyckan ur spåren;
då lyckligtvis ingen lycka
helt lyckats att lyckan förtrycka;
då lyckan var lyckad som lycka
och lyckades bra till all lycka.

På stigar där lyckan kan mötas
och lycka med lycka förnötas
fördrev jag i lyckliga hagar
de lyckliga ostarnas dagar.

Nu lyckas jag liksom de flesta.
Nu vet jag om lyckan det mesta.
Nu ser jag till mer än till lycka
och lyckan kan ej mera trycka.

I just can't translate this one, but maybe you know of some poems in English that are about happiness and luck without being sickly sweet and romantic and unrealistic?

1 comment:

EH said...

Have a good trip! Take plenty of photos and show us later. AREA I hope you have a good time abroad.

Take care!

Love EH