Tuesday, August 21, 2007

What do you know?

Soon the American colleges and universities will be filled with students that are first-timers, the freshman. Someone put together a list of how they see the world (and assumingly, most of highschoolers and our kids too)., and it is quite different from us. They don't get references to 'old' literature, movies and historical events, because many have never heard of them. Test yourself and see if you see the world differently here. Of course this is US-centered, but somethings are probably valid in Sweden too.

Some examples:
What Berlin wall?
They have grown up with bottled water.
Rap music has always been mainstream.
Being “lame” has to do with being dumb or inarticulate, not disabled.
Most phone calls have never been private.
Tiananmen Square is a 2008 Olympics venue, not the scene of a massacre.
MTV has never featured music videos.
Food packaging has always included nutritional labeling.

Now, I am starting to feel like I am no longer in the 'young' generation. I remember the Berlin Wall coming down, I remember phone booths and sitting in the closet at home talking on the phone in secret, I remember when rap music didn't exist, when you drank water out of streams and couldn't buy it, it was free even in stores if you brought your own bottle, right out of the tap, I think I remember the first music videos ever. It makes me think that the students I teach really don't know much about the world at all. I hope my kids get some idea about connections to the past and aren't so contemporary-time-focused...

No comments: