Monday, February 11, 2008

A solution to lost socks?

If it´s a very small black hole the sock might stay in the washing machine with this device... If you search for sock clips you find a huge variety, it´s a widespread phenomenom!

Or as Robert N commented on Flickr;
" Its not the black hole in the washer. Oh there is a black hole, I found that, but thats not where the socks go. I know because I looked and there weren't any socks in it. So I staked it out and found out where they went. A sock eating Gremlin (actually more of a Grendel, but whos counting) lives in it and shows himself only when he smells socks. When I caught up with him, with his hand on one of my socks, I asked him why only one sock at a time and he told me that he figured if he ate too many we'd stop putting them in there. So I banged him over the head, knocked him out and dropped him off at my friends house the next time I was over. I'm watching to make sure another one doesn't move in. " Source: http://flickr.com/photos/ansy/2166823563
Have fun with sock clips! I myself have a gnome eating out the soles of my socks, but he likes my husband's better...
By EH

3 comments:

LS said...

As a scientist, I don't believe in gnomes or black holes in our washing machine, but I admit to having about 30 unpaired socks in my laundry basket. My explanation involves my daughter's sock drawer - she has about 40 unpaired socks I would guess. If we combined our lots, I bet some would pair up!

EH said...

I believe the scientist LS is the very same person who made up the most amazing story tales as a child, so I bet you have some fantasy left.
I never said it was true though, because I´m a scientist too. And as one, I don´t argue truth but possible explanations to a certain problem. If Occam´s razor is familiar, it´s often the least exciting most simple explanation that is true.
Unpaired socks are less exciting than small sock-eating gnomes, in my opinion. But it´s probably the true explanation.

Maybe you can get AREA some sock clips...?

LS said...

Occam's Razor - I love it. That is the same as parsimony... why make things more complicated than they are.

I still remember a story I made up and told for my little siblings (EH and O.K.) about a mouse that was stuck in a pantry, and he made a ladder out of spaghetti and some gluey sauce so he could climb out of the place and escape. I can make up lots of stories, just ask my kids.

But I disagree with EH, the simplest explanation doesn't have to be the least exciting.

I think we have to make an experiment - combine all the lonely socks in our different drawers at home and see how many pairs we get.