Monday, March 31, 2008

Sweden makes NJ news

Some big news in Sweden made it in the US news today, despite primary elections, Iraq war and now over 4000 dead American soldiers, and Britney's latest mishaps. I was stuck in a waiting room for 3.5 hours today at the Federal Building in Newark, and the TV with channel 12 NJ news was on. At the bottom it suddenly said: "French Pernod buys Vin & Spirit". They meant government-owned Vin & Sprit in Sweden, makers of Absolut, which now will become a French company. I of course already knew this since I read Aftonbladet online religiously (wink, wink). I wonder why they thought this was important to New Jersey TV viewers. Absolut is famous for their advertising, one of the best marketing ideas ever. Below are some of the old ads. My favorite? Absolut Origin of course. There is even two New Jersey Absolut ads (one of a diner!). More great ads here.

I also learned that this is the National Peanut month, that there was 55% chance for rain outside (while the rain was already pouring down), a body has been found in Sayreville, and that they were looking for a missing mom with baby triplets but didn't show a photo. Maybe she is just resting in a hotel somewhere? I hope so.

6 comments:

EH said...

I heard about in on the news yesterday and they kept talking about a "crown jewel" gone from Sweden and so on. I think it´s funny, they say that because it´s a famous swedish symbol. So, swedes have a reputation of drinking a lot of vodka, I think it´s good that some of the misunderstandings about swedes goes away. I like a snaps to my sill, but never Absolut. (I don´t really eat sill, only to get a snaps!) I agree with LS though about their advertising. It´s a hit!

My best brand of snaps would be Pors, OP and Skåne of course.

LS said...

And Hallands Flader!!! I never drink Absolut either.

So, is it an April fool's joke that Sweden and Denmark's Post companies will merge? Or is it true?

EH said...

True, because today it´s the 2:n of April and they´re still reporting it.

EH said...

"jag vill ha sill hördes måsen ropa...och skeppar´n svarte jag vill ha OP...om blott det fanns...

ur "Det satt en mås på en klyvarbom", Swedish snapsvisa (visa = song)

LS said...

Rolig visa!

- Hur mås det?
- äh, håll truten!

O.K. said...

I've heard that Absolut is the biggest exporter of "food" in Sweden. The second largest? IKEA.

It's a strange world...