Sunday, June 5, 2011

Stamps of the Day: Knitted mittens

I was looking around on the internet for stamps with knitting, and there sure aren't many that I could find.  But there were two, and gorgeous knitting on them as well.  Latvia has issued two stamps with traditional knitted mittens in multi-color knit, very similar to traditional Scandinavian mittens.  I made one pair like these a long time ago, but I haven't seen them in years.  I have a feeling there were lost at some train maybe 20 years ago.  I love the design, except for that a lot of cold air comes in through the wide wrists, but you can make it tighter there if you like by changing the design (but then it isn't so authentic... so beware, if you care about such things). When I was a kid, if you were wearing mittens like these ones you were decidedly uncool, but these days they are a fashion statement, at least in some circles.  Or, rather, maybe not a fashion statement, but a political and life statement.  You can't make these mittens in machines, they have to be handmade.

No comments: